Search This Blog

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Fresh From the Farm Dill Spread


My wedding gift from one of my very best friends was a beautiful cookbook that she created by asking all of the women in my life to contribute recipes to it.  It is filled with so very much love, photos, and yummy recipes.  Jack and I decided that we are now on a mission to make every single recipe in that book.  This is one of those recipes.



This recipe came from my pal Katie Olson!  We both grew up in Cedar Rapids, Iowa where you can find Dill Spread almost anywhere - even at Subway!  One night after enjoying a few adult beverages we convinced ourselves that we would one day have our own dill farm and grow enough dill to make LOTS of dill spread that we could sell to Delis in the Denver area.  There are so many of us Iowans out here that you would think that could actually work - we need to get to farming!

I just made a batch tonight but cut it down to a quarter of this recipe since I know I can't consume that much before it goes bad.  I can't wait to have it on a sandwich this week!  Enjoy!

2 Cups mayonnaise (I used light mayo)
2 Cups sour cream
4 Tablespoons parsley
4 Tablespoons of minced onion
4 teaspoons celery salt
4 teaspoons dill weed

Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, parsley, minced onion, celery salt and dill weed.  Chill.

Presentation option:
1 loaf sour dough bread
1 large oval or round dill bread

Presentation option:
Cut off the top of the round bread, reserve for lid.  Scoop our inside of oval or round bread, leaving 1 inch of bread.  Leave bread out overnight to dry.  Cut sour dough loaf into 1 inch cubes.  When ready to serve, pile dip into bread shell.  Surround with bread cubes to dip.

No comments:

Post a Comment