Search This Blog

Monday, November 25, 2013

Mama Dolly's Chicken and Rice Soup

My wedding gift from one of my very best friends was a beautiful cookbook that she created by asking all of the women in my life to contribute recipes to it.  It is filled with so very much love, photos, and yummy recipes.  Jack and I decided that we are now on a mission to make every single recipe in that book.  This is one of those recipes. 

This one is great any time of year - but if you're feeling under the weather it will really make you feel better!

Chicken:  6-8 boneless skinless chicken thighs with fat trimmed OR 4 or 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 Tblsp EVOO
1 stalk celery chopped 1/2 inch or more if desired (I use about 3 stalks - I like my soup with a lot of veggies)
2 cups baby carrots or 2 cups chopped 1/2 inch or more if desired (I use about 3+ large carrots)
1 medium onion chopped
Tarragon (I put in a lot of this - I feel it really adds a lot of flavor and depth to the soup)  Suggestion: 2 tsp.
Juice of 2 fresh lemons
Sriracha (to taste)  OPTIONAL
minute rice uncooked OPTIONAL
homemade dumplings (for recipe click here)  OPTIONAL
Salt and Pepper

In dutch oven or medium to large soup pot with cover, combine EVOO, celery, carrots, and onion; saute until beginning to get soft.
Add chicken, tarragon, salt and pepper.  Cover with water. 
Cook on medium heat for 1 hour or 1 and 1/2 hours or until chicken is done and veggies are semi-soft. Remove from heat and add either homemade dumplings or 2 cups of minute rice (uncooked). If you add the rice here - cover until rice is done and add salt and pepper again to taste and move to the final step.  If you add the dumplings here - you're ready for the final step.

FINAL STEP:
Add juice from the two lemons.

I like to add Sriracha to my soup - but do what you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment